Warm Up and Stay Fire-Safe | SERVPRO® of Northwest Bergen County
It might seem like winter has already been here forever, but it didn’t officially start until Dec. 21. While you may have flipped the heating on in your home long ago, without the proper preparations, you could have a fire hazard.
Love them or hate them, the cold months are here and you should be able to stay warm all season. Take steps now to stay fire-safe.
Homes in the Bergen County area likely have one of three kinds of heating systems: a boiler, a furnace or baseboard heaters. Boilers run on water or gas and use radiant heat to warm your home, while baseboard heaters warm a single room at a time. Furnace systems are highly efficient and cost-effective systems that can outlast a lot of heating equipment.
No matter what kind of system you have, regular maintenance is the best way to keep them running long-term. Clean your furnace and baseboard heaters for dust, and have your boiler inspected regularly to ensure the heating elements are in working order.
Replace any filters in your systems often. For a furnace system, 90 days is the recommended time frame, although you may want to do it more often if you have pets or someone in the home has allergies. Use the changing season as a good reminder to change your filter.
The air filter not only helps to lengthen the lifespan of your system, but much like a boiler heats without increasing the dust in your home, furnace filters can also eliminate dust and allergens.
Fireplaces make for a cozy centerpiece in your home and can provide additional heating during one of the many snowstorms we experience. Without proper inspections and maintenance, though, a chimney or fireplace can pose quite the fire hazard for your home. Both artificial and wood-burning fireplaces should be inspected and cleaned regularly.
To care for a wood-burning fireplace, clean out ash and soot and ensure that nothing has blocked the chimney. Artificial fireplaces should be dusted regularly, including any removable logs and the cover you use on the front of the fireplace.
Another source of heat commonly used in home is space heaters These portable heaters are great for warming a room quickly, much like the baseboard heaters commonly found in a lot of homes in this county. Running a space heater does require safety measures in order to prevent fires though.
Don’t run your space heater overnight, and always keep it three feet away from any combustible materials. Make sure your space heater is on a flat surface where it won’t get knocked over, and if your heater doesn’t have an automatic shut-off feature when it is tipped, consider upgrading to a new one. Always plug space heaters directly into the wall to avoid electrical surges.
Keep a close eye on the little ones and the furry ones in your home when you are running your heating equipment. Make sure they understand how to stay safe, since it only takes a single accident to cause complete chaos and destruction in your home. Stay cozy this season without the fear of fire.
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of Northwest Bergen County for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us!